Monday, December 23, 2013

He's not a bad shot....




I wasn't really into hunting when at the age of 12. I had only gone hunting for deer a few times with my dad, but my only memories of that included climbing a tree stand on a hill side when you scared to death of heights as well as freezing after being up there for only a few short hours. I now understand why I got Zoie a few years ago. It has been 18 years since I have hunted with dad and I really enjoyed it. After setting Zoie free, the wind was blowing pretty strong and she was working at a slow pace.  At that pace though, she was methodical in her search for a bird. Five minutes into the hunt, she locked up in a patch of sorghum. We approached and she repositioned herself and was within two feet of the bird. As I approached, it flush for a perfect quartering shot. Dad blasted the pheasant and let out a yell with a fist pump. First thought that came to my mind, "what an awesome shot." Zoie retrieved the bird perfectly.  We ended the afternoon with two birds in the bag and only missed one during the short hunt.  Zoie held her points well in the snow filled wind. She worked close and used the wind well to her advantage. I had also taken my 28 gauge side by side today. It is beginning to be my favorite gun.  Lightweight and fits me perfect.  Can't wait to do this again...


No comments:

Post a Comment