Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Spring Creek...

Mike waiting patiently for the Tricos....



#24 Trico





Larry landing a nice one...


Estimating....




My favorite fly for Spring Creek....




This weekend was fun, but got very little sleep. I was in a wedding in Pittsburgh and had a great time. Knowing that I was going to Spring Creek on Sunday with Mike and Larry, I should have napped or even tied a few flies in preparation for the trip. Mike called on Sunday and said to be at his house at 2:45am. I almost choked on my dinner, but I was there on time Monday morning. We were on the water by 6:10am and saw some Tricos already. Being that this was one of the cooler days we have had in some time, we thought this would be the best day for the bugs. It turned out to not be the case. We landed about 25 fish between us nymphing. Best flies were midges, red copper johns, and green caddis larvae. I was fishing 6x and I decided to horse a 4lbs brown in. He didn't like that much at all. He completed a series of head shakes and spit the hook. That would have been a nice fish to have a photo with for sure. After stopping at the fly shop, we tried some new water closer to the head waters. I must say that this may be my new favorite stretch of water in the whole stream. I think we landed another 15 on caddis pupa and wet ants.  After fishing last night, I realized I need to refresh the fly box because I am running low on some of my staple patterns. 
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

  1. Great post!! gotta love big browns on little bugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guys...I think every time we have gone there we have landed at least one big brown. In the spring, there are some awesome rainbows that hang around as well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice fish and the water is absolutely beautiful! It was worth being a little sleep deprived!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sure was worth it....gonna try to make it back up there soon....I missed a few fish that I know were big too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy smokes that is a tiny fly. I have thrown a size 20 befor and had to do it behind a grasshopper because I couldn't see it. =)

    The Average Joe Fisherman
    http://shoretroutfishing.blogspot.com/
    http://hubbycoach.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being that the water was low and clear, I was able to see the fly....

    Otherwise, I would be using a similar method..

    ReplyDelete