Saturday, July 25, 2009

Dog Days of Summer...



The water has been super low with the lack of rain that we have had over the past few weeks. The river has been the only show in town with consistent flows and cooler temperatures than any other water in the area. Today, I had a trip to our private stream. Flows were slow and the fish were even slower today. We fished beetles, ants, and hoppers all day. They produced a decent amount of strikes, but the fish that were willing to take these foam creations were next to the bank and deep under the rhododendrons. Tomorrow, I have a casting lesson in the morning and a trip in the afternoon. Then I have an Orvis School Monday and Tuesday. So a busy few days coming up on the mountain.
Later in the week, I plan on fishing Spring Creek or the Little J for Tricos. Since the weather has been quite mild over the past month, the hatches should last for a few hours compared to other years. Love or hate the Tricos, they will produce big fish throughout the dog days of summer. I use a size 26 tied very sparse. I will have a report later in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment